|Leaves & the Letter O|
We've only completed one project thus far, as the printmaking project is more involved and taking longer. On this first project, I went through my usual frustration freak-out, but I'm determined to persevere and maintain equilibruim. I am glad I'm auditing the class - this is not a world where I think I'd like any grades.
Project 1 involved taking a leaf (real or photo), making a 2D simplification of it, and creating a pattern with it, and a letter of the alphabet, where the leaves and letters interwove at least 3 times. It sounds easy, but I made gazillions of thumbnail sketches with various leaves and letters that were all aggressively ugly. The final product I finally created post thumbnails and roughs, well, umm, it's not perfect. Critique included very politely worded commentary on the importance of craftsmanship, as in, ahem, I'm a slob, and the paint ended up extra lumpy on this one, and white paint doesn't really cover fingerprints terribly well on board, etc. The design itself is not terrible though, not nearly as awful as some of those thumbnail sketches. Varying the letter O sizes more would have probably helped - that, and better craftsmanship. I am not good at being careful and precise.
The interesting thing about working on the project was knowing I was learning something in all the experimenting, but not being really sure what I was learning. My hope is that the experimentation involved in art leads to developing a personal aesthetic style. We'll see if, down the road, I'm better able to articulate what I like, what I don't, and why.